Saturday, January 26, 2013

London Calling (to be Free of the Nazis!)

My new alternate history story, "Our Stern Alarums Chang'd to Merry Meetings," has been published online by Cosmos, the Australian science magazine.

Ahem.  That's science magazine, not science fiction.  Their main business is articles on science for the general reader, with a certain small amount of select science fiction also published.

Select, I say!

Forgive my arrogance, but also forgive the long title; it is a quotation from Shakespeare (read the story for context).

It was the first time I had pitched a story to an editor, then wrote it.  The editor in question, Ms. Cat Sparks, a well-known Australian SF writer and editor, is coincidentally a fellow winner of the L. Ron Hubbard Writers of the Future Award.

There have been a lot of stories about the Nazis winning World War II (which this sort of is; read it for context), and I tried to avoid a wheezy recycling of old cliches.  I hope you'll think I've succeeded.

The story has an endnote shoutout to my fellow author Ross Baxter.  The story takes place in London; he's British; I asked him to check a few things for me (obviously, any remaining mistakes or continuity errors are mine).  Ross has written his own alternate history story which appears in this anthology.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

If you liked "Our Stern Alarums Chang'd to Merry Meetings," you should know that I self-published another alternate history story (a novella) online.  I used that other alternate history convention covered with cobwebs: the Confederacy won the American Civil War.


Entitled "The Man Inside," it has been my most popular self-published title.   I was gratified that a reviewer on Amazon called it "one of the better short stories I've downloaded for my Kindle. It's a fun read, and the twist at the end is worthy of an O. Henry story."

Check it out:

Amazon (US)

Amazon (UK)

Amazon (DE)

Amazon (FR)

Amazon (ES)

Amazon (IT)

Amazon (JP)

Amazon (CA)

Amazon (BR)

Nook by Barnes & Noble

Kobo

Smashwords


 

No comments:

Post a Comment